Wednesday, May 1, 2013

NFL Draft

Last week Peter Pan and I watched part of the NFL draft.  Peter Pan watched a lot of it actually, and to be truthful I watched more than I should have.  I had a project due in my class and the draft was a great way to procrastinate!  I was interested in parts of it.  I would try to work and then hear something interesting and run back over to watch.  After a long evening I finally got my project done and watched some more of the draft.

Like any good insane sports mom it really got me thinking.  As they discussed each player and his abilities/stats/etc. I thought about my own football player.  My brain started turning and scheming.  Moose can almost do that, he is just milliseconds away from that time in his 40.  He is that tall, he weighs that much.  I started to voice my thoughts to Peter Pan and then I caught myself.  Sure, he is close but not close enough.  He knows it, and to be honest so do I.  He has set his sights on other things after college.  Smart kid that he is, he knows that the stats may look close but they really are so, so far apart.


I think this is the root of sports mom insanity- this inability to be honest about your child's abilities and potential.  Instead of just enjoying and appreciating there athletic pursuits we struggle to push them further and find a better place for them.  Sure Moose may be milliseconds off those NFL players 40 times, but the reality is that seemingly tiny gap is a huge chasm.  There are so many good collegiate athletes, but only a tiny percentage move beyond college sports into professional sports.  Even those who make it aren't always able to stay.

I find this to be true in every aspect of sports.  In skating it is the difference of 1 rotation on a jump that makes all the difference.  Not so much really, but ask any skater and they will tell you how difficult that one rotation is. 
 


So, I am trying to appreciate my wonderful children for who they are right now, not what they may be.  I am blessed to have athletic, intelligent and amazing children.  I am proud to be there slightly insane and annoying Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment