Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Most Expensive Gum Ever

Last week was "Back to School" night at school.  This is a great chance to see my students and their parents and enjoy a chance to get to know them.  I had planned to work through until the PTA meeting and back to school night.  I had several things to take care of and this was a great time to do it.  I actually had a great evening and headed home tired, but satisfied.

When I got home Belle and Peter Pan wanted to order Domino's, which was fine.  Belle was just walking in the door as well, she had just gotten a haircut.  So, since it was late and we were tired we got a pizza, watched some TV and enjoyed some conversation.  About the time I finished my pizza I looked at the coffee table and noticed that 2 packs of sugar free gum I had left there were missing. 

Of course neither Belle or Peter Pan had any idea where they were, and a quick look didn't provide any clues.  Fenway quickly solved the mystery by throwing up in her crate (she is really good about going to her crate if she is sick).  I knew as soon as I walked in the room that she was the gum thief.  You could smell the peppermint.  I cleaned it up and made an annoyed comment on my facebook only to find out that Xylitol (the sugar alcohol that makes it sugar free) is incredibly dangerous to dogs. 

So, at 8:45 on a Tuesday night Fenway and I were off to the Emergency Vet.  I was there till after 11:00 and Fenway got to spend 24 hours there.  Poor baby had to have her blood sugar monitored (that seems to be a theme at our house these days) and her liver function checked as well.  She had to have an IV for at least 24 hours.   Who knew that gum could be so dangerous!!!!!

Tomorrow she goes to our family vet for one more check of her liver function.  The final total for the 2 packs of gum- $1.75 for the gum, $612 to the E vet, $150 to our for follow up, for a total of about $764.  I don't think I can afford to chew gum at that price!

No comments:

Post a Comment