Saturday, October 1, 2011

I'm Back

So, I know I have been absent for the last few weeks.  There has been a LOT going on.  I will get to all of it in time but the brief version is, school started, I got sick, the kids are still busy with sports, and the dogs are causing issues. 

The main reason for my absence has been getting back into the swing of teaching Kindergarten.  I always forget how draining the start of school can be.  Plus we are making some curriculum switches this year to try and make the children more successful so I have really been working my tail off to stay caught up.  Fortunately I once again have an amazing class.  They are really cute, sweet and fantastically well behaved.  It helps a ton to have a class like that. 

On the fifth day of school I went home with what I thought was a stomach virus on steroids.  It was not a stomach virus, and my years of self neglect have taken a toll.  My blood sugar was through the roof so I have officially been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.  No more self neglect.  I am embarking on eating right and exercising.  I no longer have a choice.  Fortunately Belle can drive herself to practice now so I don't need to be a taxi service which allows me more free time.  I am struggling with this new lifestyle, but I already feel much better and hope that it continues.  I will keep you all updated as I progress.  The exercise will be the hardest part for me, it has been a long time since I did anything but warm the benches, but I can't wait to see where this will take me in the next year.  Well, that, and I really already miss a couple of things like funnel cake and caramel apples.  Life goes on though.

Belle and Moose are working hard at school and sports.  Both seem to be doing well.  Moose is struggling behind several scholarship players and is frustrated at a lack of playing time, but he is working on extra conditioning to hopefully help him improve for next year.  He is studying and trying to get a job in the mess hall to earn some extra cash.  Belle is finally healthy enough to run and will hopefully break into the top ten for her school at the next race.  She is starting back on her Ice Dancing as well and has signed up to be part of US Figure Skating National Solo Dance Series next year. 

Peter Pan is still job hunting and is now looking at going back to school to maybe broaden the hiring opportunities.  It is not a great time to be looking for a job, but I know the right one is out there.

So, that is where we all are.  I have a great dog story, but it will have to wait for another blog.  I am not sure I have the energy tonight to relate  it all.  Let me just say that it was quite the learning experience and you won't want to miss it.

2 comments:

  1. we've missed you... soooo glad you're back with your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're back! I hadn't realized you were diagnosed with diabetes. :-( I'm so sorry....

    And I have to say, your dog story was something I had never, ever heard of. Hopefully everyone reads it & spreads the word.

    ReplyDelete