Monday, May 30, 2011

The Care and Feeding of a Football Player

Moose came home from summer school Friday and uttered words that I am completely sure I have never in my life utterred, "I'm going to have to eat a lot this weekend.  My weight was down when I weighed in."  I wasn't even sure how to respond to that.  In my life that is a really, really good thing.  When you are a defensive lineman, not so much. 

This led to a discussion about food.  I am of the opinion that the food should be healthy and protein should be the main focus at this point.  Moose just wants a lot of food.  He says he doesn't get enough at school, he can't get to the galley for food because it doesn't fit his schedule.  Now this makes me a litttle bit crazy, the food in the galley has already been PAID FOR!  I don't think at this point in our financial life we need to ignore already purchased food.  Moose said he would try harder.  Then I asked if he needed more protein powder for after workouts.  His answer floored me,  "Nah, I have plenty.  I just don't have my cup."

"What, why don't you have a cup?"  I foolishly asked.

"I brought it home to get washed last weekend and no one washed it."

He had to be kidding, right?!  Nope, he was serious.  I explained that the cup was washed and with the clean dishes if he had taken the time to look he would have found it.  Of course, if it is that important he could wash and pack it HIMSELF  (Moose, I know you read this so maybe that is a little  HINT for future trips home!)  In any case it was all a bit frustrating to find that more already purchased nutrition was not being utilized! 

When he goes back today I am sending some snacks with him.  I hope these help some.  I am going to make sure he has the cup with him.  I am feeding him a great meal before he leaves (actually Peter Pan will be the cook for this one, Moose wanted Dad's burgers!)  Then I just have to hope he continues to eat and make good  nutrition decisions for some of it.  No one ever told me what the grocery bill for a high school and college football player would be like- it might have led me to put him in a different sport all together- like bowling or badminton, haha.  I understand why colleges charge so much admission to their football games- they have to feed the team!

No comments:

Post a Comment