Friday, December 2, 2011

Cleaning and Tossing

Okay we made it through this week and now I am supposed to relax and refresh on my day of right.  Not a chance.  Today I get to pack all the book shelves, closets, etc. downstairs so the flooring install can happen Monday.  This is a pain in my,  well you know where.  I didn't realize how much junk can accumulate in just a few years.  I have found magazines from 2005, skating related, but still what was I saving them for, textbooks from college (mine not Moose's) and a variety of old PTA directories and phone books.  Why did I feel the need to keep all of that? 

I can tell you why, I might need it someday.  In fact I am fairly certain that just after Peter Pan takes it all to the dump I will need it!!!  Well, maybe not, but that is my fear.  What if I really need a phone number from that directory?  What if that skating magazine had an article I need to refer back to?  What if I need to look back into that outdated textbook for some crucial piece of job saving information?  Now I realize the chances are pretty slim that will happen, but it would be just my luck.  So I am throwing the stuff out, but it is stressing me big time.  I keep telling myself that it is out of date, I don't think my college chemistry book from 1985 will be useful to anyone.  I'm not sure it was useful to me back in 1985.  I do feel a certain kinship with those people who end up on "Hoarding" .  It is hard to let go of things.

So what am I keeping?  Yearbooks, baby books and calendars,  stuff the kids made (I found the cutest little book Belle made in Kindergarten!)  I am not ready to part with that stuff yet.  Hopefully when I am ready Belle and Moose will be ready to accept it.  It is sort of sad though, all the things that just get tossed.  They were important at one point in time.

So Saturday morning clean and pitch, here I come!!!  If you hear wailing that is just me being frustrated with the whole process.  But call me next week when everything is done and see if I am not happier without all the clutter!

No comments:

Post a Comment