Thursday, January 31, 2013

This is Not Sports Related (or is it...)

Tuesday was the 90th day of Kindergarten at school.  This was sort of a big deal, although the really big deal is the 100th day.  We count days of school and track them in our classroom.  This serves a very practical purpose, it helps the students practice counting and number skills.  Every 10th day we make a really big deal about "Zero the Hero" as we make a new bundle of straws and move them from the ones pocket on our chart to the tens pocket.  Then we count by tens and have a special math day that focuses on "Zero the Hero."  We have done all sorts of really fun stuff this year to celebrate these 10th days. 

Why is the 90th day so important and special?  Well, as I pointed out to my class, there are 90 straws in the chart that shows how many days we have been in Kindergarten and 90 days in the chart that shows how many days we have left in Kindergarten.  That means that we are HALFWAY through kindergarten.  One of my students actually figured that out himself.  I was pretty impressed with him!!!!!

That means Tuesday was "halftime" for Kindergarten!  It made me realize that even when I am not involved in sports I still think with a "sportsmom" brain.  I divide things into quarters and halves, measurable units, keeping track of movement through them and keeping score.  I compare things.  I have a little log in my brain keeping track of things.  Not important things, just things.

I am not sure this scorekeeping is good.  Well, for Kindergarten it is a fun way to learn to count by 10's.  If you look at the rest of my life maybe I need to let some scorekeeping go.  I don't need to track every detail, every time frame, and remember them for ever.  I am starting to see that some of this made me the insane sportsmom that I am.  A little less scorekeeping and a little more enjoyment is in order.  I need to appreciate the moment, not try to assimilate into the context of some bizarre score keeping system that makes no sense to anyone but me.  That is my new goal, to give up the scorekeeping and enjoy life.  Call me next week and see how I am doing with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment