Friday, February 1, 2013

Does God Care Who Wins the Superbowl?

This was on the cover of our most recent Sports Illustrated and it prompted a semi-theological discussion between Peter Pan and me.  Of course at 8:45 on Friday night, after a week of work and school neither of us was particularly erudite (notice how I threw that collegiate sounding word in there for effect!)  Seriously though, our discussion was sort of lame on the whole and ended when Peter Pan proclaimed I was getting "too personal."  We didn't actually answer the question either as we diverged immediately from that topic down a whole different road.  Still, it got me thinking, does God care who wins the Superbowl?

It is quite a provocative question.  If I am honest I have to admit that I have prayed before football games, basketball games, track meets, cross country races, skating competitions, and other events.  I have asked for victory for my children's teams.  So that must mean I believe God has some part in sporting events.  Then again, my prayers haven't always been answered so does that mean he doesn't care?  I don't know.

I do know that God loves my children, my husband, and me.  I know he loves all of us here on Earth.  I know he wants the best for us.  These are truths that I hold dear.  There are plenty of times in my life when I can attest to the hand of God holding and supporting me, comforting me, and caring for me.  Does this care extend to sports?  I just don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment