Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentines Day!

Happy Valentines Day!  It isn't a traditionally sporting holiday but our skating club puts on a competition every year around Valentines day.  Somehow I have managed to volunteer to type all the registration forms for the event (around 100) and even though I swore I wouldn't, I will be there Saturday playing music.  I dug my feet in and said, I will not go, until someone called and said come.  I am so tough!  In any case it is sort of depressing because my skater will not be competiting- her choice, and fine with me, but still sad.  I am not sure how I will feel seeing everyone else ready to compete.   We will be making our annual trek to the Orthopedic doc tomorrow- the trainer at school thinks she may have a stress fracture in her hip.  I didn't even know that could happen.  In any case she can't run until we get it checked out by the doc.  She didn't make her 4:00 AM wake up call today either due to computer malfunction last night.  She had just finished a huge project when her lap top crashed losing it.  She had to stay up till almost midnight recreating it so I said no morning ice- oh but tell the coach I will pay him for the lesson time anyway.  That sort of brings me sarcastically back to Happy Valentines Day!

On a happier note, my football player almost made it onto the "wall of fame" in the weight room for doing pull ups (something about them being leg assisted which I don't get at all).  He is not a pull up guy, he is a lineman, extremely large and while he is strong he just doesn't pull up well so this was a huge achievement for him.  He was very happy, thus I am very happy.  I can tell he is getting excited for Spring training.  He is ready to shine.  Even though he was red shirted he was doing a great job at practice until he had a severe ankle injury at the end of October.  Rehab was long, tedious, and aside from getting him out of some school committments, very boring for him.  He is ready to go at it again.  I have to admit that college sports, while more exciting in many ways, leaves much less opportunity for me to be "insane" Sports Mom.  I am not involved at all in the whole thing.  It is all him.  There is no fundraising, no banquets, no team mom, no one asks for cookies or sandwiches or oranges.  I feel really disconnnected from it all.  At the same time we have had several instances of getting to go in to school events first, and of course we get complimentary tickets to games so I have also felt sort of like a "rock star" sometimes.  I realize I am raising the children to go out into the world on their own, but it is harder to let go than I thought it would be.  Maybe the real definition of insane Sports Mom is control freak.

No comments:

Post a Comment