Friday, February 25, 2011

You Interrupted Work For This?!

Thursday is my really, really long day.  I work all day and then I have 3 children that I tutor.  It keeps me going until late.  Just as I was finishing my first tutoring session yesterday my phone rang.  It was my son.  As I was still talking with the lovely lady who pays me for my time I declined to answer at that moment.  So that just means call back, right?  The issue is that for some wierd reason his phone doesn't receive any calls at VMI.  It works when he is home, in fact as soon as we get about 20 miles from VMI it will ring, but it doesn't there.  So now I start worrying.  He never calls on a weekday before 8 at night unless something is wrong.  I dialed back, knowing there would be no answer.  1 voicemail and text later and just as I pulled into the driveway of my next tutoring client my phone rang.  Thankfully it was him.  I immediately checked to see if he was allright.  "Yeah, but where's Dad?" was his response.  Sadly, Dad had managed to throw out his back at work and had been sent home with muscle relaxers.  Dad was blissfully sleeping in a comfortable, warm bed.  He was oblivious to the world.  "What do you need?"  I continued, anticipating some problem, hoping it wasn't a male related thing I couldn't deal with.  "The Celtics traded Kendrick Perkins....."  At this point  he began a bit of a rant.  When he finally paused to breathe I wasn't sure how to respond.  On the one hand I never want to discourage conversation, he is not a particularly conversational kid.  However, I was now sitting in the driveway of my next client's house and I needed to be inside.  Plus, I was a little peeved that I was worried something was really wrong.  I told him that Dad was down for the count, I was tutoring and I was sorry the Celtics management were idiots.  Then I also told him to please not call and send me into a panic, especially when it was just about the Celtics, during my workday again and told him I loved him.  I am glad he wanted to talk, but this was definitely a Dad conversation.  I am not a totally insane sports Mom.  Later I felt guilty that I hadn't reacted differently, it was really important to him.  I think it was a really dumb trade, but what do I know.  When I tried to explain it all to Dad later (he is okay, and went back to work today) I couldn't even remember the names of the players that were traded.   

Interestingly, I started this post before school today and sure enough my phone rang at 3:30.  "Where's Dad?"  It was like deja vu.  This time I was able to explain that since it was still the middle of the work day for normal people Dad was at work.  He called 2 more times, but happily he finally reached Dad.  They had a great conversation.  Now if I can just get him to remove the lovely words from his facebook page... 

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog..I have been laughing at your mother/son situations which sound just like my life!

    ReplyDelete