Saturday, February 19, 2011

What Can I Say?

Well, it has been an eventful couple of days.  Thursday night was the live event, Rise, at the movie theater.  We had a great time and it was an inspiring and amazing movie.  I didn't cry nearly as much as I thought I would, but I walked away marveling at the inspiration of the 1961 world team.  So of course yesterday I was tired from having been up late on Thursday.  I did get my registration pages typed and alphabetized and turned over to a board member for the competition this weekend.  I was pretty proud of that accomplishment! 

There was a brief time Wednesday when it seemed impossible to finish, but hey just put Toddlers and Tiaras on and I can do anything.  It makes me feel better about my insane sports mom self; at least I'm not a pageant mom!  I mean I have never forced my child to have her eyebrows waxed even though she was screaming, and I have never forced her to get a spray tan or wear false teeth because she was missing a few.  I just let her get up at 4 AM when she was 9 years old to go to the ice rink, but hey that was for sports. 

Anyway, I am getting off the topic.  Last night I was in my pajamas at 7:30, digging into a delicious plate of leftovers when the phone rang.  It was my son.  I was surprised because he had already called me once this week, during Toddlers and Tiaras actually.  He wanted food, he wanted me to mail a box of snacks because he was hungry.  So I was not expecting another call so soon.  This time he wanted to come home for the weekend.  Could we come get him?  Fortunately at VMI he isn't allowed to leave until Saturday mornings, so we did get to continue relaxing last night, but he said he didn't feel well.  In other words, "I want my Mom!" 

Well home he came.  I was cleaning his room- he left it a mess when he went back to school in January and I felt bad he was coming home to a mess.  My husband made the 7 hour round trip to get him.  It was obvious that he wasn't well.  He was burning up, but could I find the thermometer?  Nope, no thermometer in sight.  I tried some Tylenol, but he said his head and throat hurt.  Off we trekked to the urgent care.  He tested negative for strep and flu, so it is just a virus.  I also had to bum out on helping out at the competiton which did make me feel a tad guilty.  Only a tad though, because my son comes first!  I don't think they really needed me and my daughter was helping out and said she would cover for me. 

Now I am feeling guilty, not because I missed out on helping, but because I really am so relieved I didn't have to go in the rink at all.  Like I said it is the first time she isn't competing and I think it is the first time I haven't been on the board during the competition.  I really didn't want to be a part of it, it was sort of too sad for me.  Not that I planned for a marathon waiting room stay at the urgent care-that was not particularly fun either.  I just am sort of relieved that I didn't have just go in and be ordinary during the competition.  However, I don't really want to be any more than ordinary either.  I love the club, but I have done my time.  Regardless of what goes on with partner tryouts, college choices, and the many decisions of the next couple of years my daughter will be moving on in just over a year.  It is time for someone else to take hold of the reins and guide.  But you know that feeling when you have been holding onto the reins for so long and your hands feel wierd and sort of tingly when you let go?  That is what I think I am getting.  It is much harder to actually hand over control- see I am back to the big c word again.  Do you see a theme here?  Well, tingly or not, I made it through without a competitor, without helping, and without a total breakdown!  Now to make it through the 7 hour round trip back to VMI to drop sick cadet back off tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment