Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Time to start planning and praying!

So, VMI (where my son goes to school and plays football, or should that be the other way: plays football and goes to school) finally published next year's schedule.   http://www.vmikeydets.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=43765&SPID=3895&DB_OEM_ID=9800&ATCLID=205095976   It  looks pretty good.  5 home games is awesome!  One game in Richmond and one at Liberty are also really great.  Akron is going to be a long drive!  So will The Citadel and Coastal Carolina.  But hey, 4 far away games out of 11 isn't bad.  I guess I should go ahead and make kennel reservations for the dogs (I always tell them they are going for a "spa" weekend).  I am excited.  If all goes as planned we will be traveling to see all those away games.  It will be a truly fun and exciting fall.  At this point with the seniors who are leaving it looks like he will at least be on the second string so he will play quite a bit.  I am excited for that.  And extremely nervous.  After all he has already gotten one of the worst injuries of his career at practice, I can't imagine what it will be like actually out there playing.  There are some really big guys on college football teams, really big.  Not that my son is little, but I am talking scary big:  6'7" and over 325 pounds.  In my opinion that is really two people.   I have to say that it will take a lot out of me to see him take that pounding on a regular basis.  If he really gets hurt I am going down to the field, I have seen other parents do it at VMI games!

 Overall football doesn't scare me too much.  I have seen many worse injuries on the basketball court and at the ice rink.  However, it only takes one bad hit to really do damage.  I think most recently of Eric LeGrand from Rutgers University who was paralyzed in a game last year.  http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2011/01/06/2011-01-06_eric_legrand_paralyzed_rutgers_football_player_regains_full_sensation_throughout.html   He made one small mistake, one bad hit and that is it.  Game over.  So I sit in the stands and pray for all the players on both teams.  I pray that the conditioning coaches have done their jobs and the coaches have trained them well.  Then you have to hope that God takes care of them all.  This is after all what my child has worked for and dreamed about since middle school.  So far God has provided, I have to trust he has it all in his hands, but remember I am a control freak, insane sports mom, so pray for me too!

No comments:

Post a Comment