Monday, July 11, 2011

Build a Bridge and Get Over It!

I have a tendency to hold on to old hurts and recycle them at random times.  This is not a good thing!  It really does nothing productive, and it hurts everyone around me and mostly me!  It is damaging to relationships because I can't see past my hurt/frustration to deal with what is at hand.  I pull random hurt out add bad times and throw it back into the middle of life (i.e. arguments) and justify current behavior with it.

But it isn't justified.  Bad behavior is bad behavior, and yes I sometimes behave badly (I am an insane sports mom after all!)  So where does this leave me? 

I know what I need to do, build a bridge and get over it!  It is just that so often something will remind me of perceived wrong doing by another and I will get riled up once again.  I am still angry and bewildered by the behavior of a football coach in 2003.  Now really what relevance does this have anymore?  Moose is successful at what he does.  He doesn't care!  Why do I?  Now to be honest I don't think of this very often, but sometimes I will be reminded of what that coach did and I just get furious all over again!  In the end this only hurts me!  I bet money that coach doesn't even remember me, although he does remember Moose, Peter Pan ran into him this Spring and he knew Moose was at VMI! 

Of course that is just 1 example.  I do it with other situations as well.  Upon reflection I tend to hold on the longest when it involves Belle or Moose.  So I guess part of it is just the pain any mother feels when her child hurts!  Still, they are tired of me doing it.  My refusal to let go means that they have to also keep reliving whatever the situation was that hurt them.  Both of them have told me to stop.  I really hate it when my kids are smarter than me!

So my goal is to actually build that bridge, go to the top of it, throw all this crap over the edge, and get over it!!!  Wish me luck, this will be hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment