Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Level Playing Field

I just finished reading a disturbing article in ESPN.  It was all about the equity in sports.  It shook me a little.  I have always known that Figure Skating isn't a level playing field (or rink as the case may be.)  It is expensive and it isn't always the most talented that end up on top, but often a combination of talent and money that make the top skaters.  With lesson cost ranging from $50 to $150 an hour, ice time at $11 to $20 an hour, boots and blades upwards or $1200, well you do the math.  The skaters you see on TV probably spend $60,000 to $75,000 a year on training costs.  Obviously most people can't afford that.  What disturbed me about this article was the fact that it apparently isn't just in figure skating. 

2 sociologists studied the background of NBA players.  This was a revealing glimpse into the background of most players.  I think most people have the perception that the NBA is a ticket out of the inner-city and into a better life.  It was at one point, but that was in the late 60's and early 70's.  Now low income African American players are 33% less likely to get into the NBA and low income white players are 77% less likely to make it.    Having only one parent in the home also reduced the odds!  So according to this study the field isn't level.  There are still athletes at a disadvantage even if they have the talent and drive. 

What is the solution?  I don't know.  I do know that if you look at societies who do level the playing field they produce amazing athletes.  Think back to the Soviet Sports Machine.  They started looking at athletes in nursery school, plucking out the ones who showed the most promise and providing the training.  They dominated in many sports for many years.  Another example is China, where the government may be spending $400 million or more to support talented athletes.  Of course China is not without controversy.  There have been claims of abuse of young athletes, violations of age policies (both gymnasts and skaters have been found to have been ineligible due to age), and most recently former athletes found begging on the street.  This seems the wrong approach as well.  I have to think that my children would have been passed over by these systems and yet both have done well in sports.



I do know that I have always felt like money would have made a difference to my athletes.  We are not poor, not even close.  However, like the majority of my friends our living expenses have impacted our ability to pay for training.  So I understand the frustration of talented athletes who show promise but lack resources.  I don't have an answer, but I think this is something that needs to be reexamined.  We do want our best and brightest to have equal opportunity don't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment