Tuesday, November 1, 2011

This is Not What I Planned On

So it is November and I am not having the Fall I had planned.  I was anticipating going to a lot of VMI games, home and away, watching Grafton Cross Country, and going to regionals with Belle.  None of that has happened.  Injuries have stolen it away from Belle and Moose.  So here I sit on November 18 thinking about would/could or even should have been.  It is a little bit depressing.

Moose has definitely had it the worst.  He has just finished having surgery on his preseason injury.  Peter Pan and I went to Roanoke to take care of him and bring him home for a couple days of recovery and pampering.  He tore his sub-scapularis tendon and had to have it repaired.  The doctor said it looked "shredded" but he also felt like the repair went well.  He had to go back to VMI pretty quickly and I hated to let him go.  I just wanted him home where I could take care of him and make sure he was comfortable (comfort and VMI really don't fit together.)  He has made the best of it.  While he can't do much with his arm, he is really working his legs and when I talked to him last night he was in an ice bath because his leg workout was so intense.  He is trying to actually lose some weight and has been pretty successful at that as well.   Making up class work has been harder and he had to drop a class because of the surgery.  Hopefully the rest will be okay, but we will see.

Belle finally got to run the last 2 district races of the season, but of course she wasn't really in shape.  She didn't have great times and wasn't even in her own teams top 10.  That wasn't how she wanted to finish her senior year.  And of course she had decided not to even attempt skating at regionals.  She hadn't jumped for most of the summer so she know that she wouldn't be ready.  Financially I was glad, the regionals trip is always really expensive, but it just wasn't what I planned for her last fall at home.  I am hopeful that she will have a better track season than ever this year, having not overtrained through the fall, but she is fighting bronchitis and it just isn't going away so I am hoping that indoor track won't be off to a rotten start as well.  She and I are planning a quick trip to Boston to look at some schools.  The stress of planning for next year is difficult for her.  She has a lot of options and doesn't want to make the wrong choice.   I don't think there is a "wrong" choice, but I have a lot of hind sight  (I have a lot of "hind" in general.) 

So onward we go, and I guess hope springs eternal because I am already planning for next fall when I will be juggling VMI football and whatever Belle chooses.  Life keeps moving forward, regardless of setbacks so you just travel with it.  Now if I could get my house together before the holidays I would be in business, but that is a whole different blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment