Monday, April 25, 2011

Superstitions

I shouldn't admit this but I am very superstitious about my kid's sports.  I fight hard not to be.  It is really ridiculous, although not uncommon in the athletic realm.  Who really believes that wearing the same unwashed socks all season helps your game?  I think it just leads to foot fungus and keeps people away from you.  Having said that, most athletes have some sort of superstition.

Moose decided during his senior year that wearing his letter jacket on game day was bad luck.  Now he had only had the jacket since the previous spring and it was really expensisve!  That was irrelevant.  He wore it one game day and they got slaughtered and he played poorly.  Why?  The letter jacket of course.  So into the closet it went.  He wore it about 10 times total I think.  What a waste of money.  Sometimes I wear it just to get some use out of it.  It is very warm.  Both Moose and Belle are appaled by my wearing it, that is a bonus.

Belle has to lace her skates a certain way at a certain speed.  Don't interrupt, it throws off the groove.  She also has some competition day quirks as well.  I have learned to let it ride, if I comment it leads to a lot of frustration for both of us.  I have even told her coach to keep quiet about things- how her hair looks, missing earrings, etc. before she skates to keep the peace.  She is probably less superstitious and more a creature of routine.  The routine provides comfort when she is stressed and that is actually a really good coping skill in my opinion.

I tend to see signs everywhere.  Look a rainbow, we are going to have a great competition.  They played your favorite song on the radio right as we pulled into the parking lot, that has to be good luck.  We had a lousy drive up and the car got a flat, that doesn't bode well.  Now logically I know that none of that has a thing to do with a good game or competition.  I just can't seem to get over my superstition.  It doesn't matter how much I try to be logical, I get superstitious.  I think it makes the whole family sort of crazy, but hey at least some good comes out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment