Sunday, March 20, 2011

Are You Kidding? Apparently Not.

It seems like these conversations all start innocently enough.  Mom, can I borrow/have/get _________.  I need it for __________.  We have all had them with our kids, over and over again.  Most of the requests are innocent enough and usually we are able to help them out.  Sometimes they are ridiculous (as in can I take the car for the weekend and go to the beach, or my personal favorite will you give me money for a hotel room) and we decline then laugh behind their backs.  It seemed like my entire day yesterday was filled with requests of one kind or another.  I was trying to clean the sofa and the carpet (thanks to my daughter's naughty, stinky dachshund), and it seemed like I was just spinning my wheels.  I did understand the requests for food, I guess that is sort of my responsibility.  However, they are old enough to feed themselves.  As the day continued it just seemed to get wierder and wierder.  Some were just unusual/wierd (in that they don't normally occur at our house) and others I will admit were downright bizarre!  Here are a couple of examples- "Mom I need that passport/wallet that goes around my waist for my trip!"  "Mom I need more juice!"  (He got to go to Food Lion himself for that one.)  "Mom, the dog stinks and needs a bath!  Her hair looks stupid too, she needs a haircut!"  "Mom where are the q-tips?"  "Mom, remember last time I was home and I stuck the q-tip to far in my ear and got the wax stuck and couldn't hear?  I did it again.  I need to go to Med Express!"  and the wierdest of all- "Mom will you shave my back?"  You heard me right, he wanted his back shaved.  Ewwwwwww!  Why?  However, since the bright boy had already attempted to do it himself, resulting in some lovely cuts, I took pity and helped him out.  After all the dog needed a buzz cut too.  So, I did get the rug and sofa cleaned, the dog got a buzz cut and bath (she only has a couple of bald spots),  and the boy got his back shaved.  I wonder what today will bring?  Since we have started with "Mom, I just saw there was a bug in my cereal!  I was eating it!"  I am not holding out a lot of hope.

1 comment: