Friday, March 25, 2011

Career Day, or What I Want to Be When I Grow Up

We had career day at school this week.  It is always an interesting afternoon of hearing about how other people fill their lives with work and satisfaction.  Typically the presenters are parents of students in our school, but there are usually a couple of other people who just volunteer their time to help out.  We had some really fascinating jobs this year.  Maybe I am just getting older, but a lot of the careers sounded really intriguing to me.  Of course when I really think about it, I love what I do.  I was meant to teach.  It is in my genes.  I think what caught my attention with each presenter was their passion for their career.  I don't actually want to go back to school and change professions, I really don't want to be a pharmacist, analyst, dj, scientist, or therapist.  What was fascinating was how much each presenter loved their job.  One presenter actually said that "if you have a job that pays the bills, you like, and you are good at you have found your dream job!"  Thanks Martha!

Of course I also spent a lot of time thinking about my family members on career day.  Peter Pan may not have a job after April, we are waiting to see who the new company hires to fill the contract and it looks like only 2 of the 3 contractors are going to be hired.  I have always said he would be a great Wal-Mart greeter, now he may get the chance.  I am hopeful he will be one of the 2, but he has the least seniority so if that is the decision maker we are in trouble.  On the upside he is more qualified, and he is an amazing instructor!  So who knows.  This is one of those times when I have to toss it up to God and let it go!  However, I will be having a long chat with Belle and Moose about the difference between NEEDS and WANTS!  That is a whole other blog!

Moose is actually in the process of changing majors.  I don't think he has a clue what he wants to do.  He went about choosing school in a backwards fashion, he chose the best football team he could play for and then went from there.  He didn't consider what to major in until he was at VMI, which is an amazing school, but has a more limited range of majors.  He has been there for 8 months and has already been through about 6 different career options.  One of the great things about VMI is that you can directly commission into the military.  Sadly, Moose is in Air Force ROTC and has recently found out that he is too large to commission in the Air Force.  How wierd is that?  He is thinking about switching to Army, but all his friends are in Air Force ROTC.  Oh to be 19 and make decisions that way.  In December he told me he wanted to be a detective.  The child can't find his glasses on his face, the milk carton  in the fridge, or his shoes on the floor in front of him.  How could he ever be a detective?  He argued he could find all that stuff if he wanted to pay attention and look for it, it is easier to ask me to do it!

Belle is sort of all over the map, she wants to coach skating, own a restaurant, be a chef, be a trainer, who knows.  It changes from year to year.  She is also looking at colleges in rather a backward fashion- where is there a good rink?  What school is near there?  This is not normal.  I thought you were supposed to have a career in mind, then choose the best school you could get into and afford to achieve that career goal.  To be honest, Belle will probably make more money coaching skating.  Maybe she doesn't need college?  She wants college, and I want her to have college!  I personally bet she will end up in education.  I don't think she will be able to help herself.  She is amazing with children.  She is patient and calm.  She is firm and fair.  She has been babysitting since she was 11, she works with special needs children, she teaches skating to tots.  She just doesn't realize that she is going to teach.  She swears she won't.  So did I when I was in high school. I was going to change the world, I was going to be a politician!  Hahaha!  Well, I think I do impact the world, just in teeny, tiny increments.  Each time I help someone figure out how to divide or draw conclusions, or even just to treat others the way you want to be treated. 

Moose and Belle will find their path.  It may not involve the NFL or the Olympics.  In fact, I am pretty certain it won't.  It may not even relate to sports.  They will be amazing and find their greatness at whatever they choose to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment